Elder Anderson

Elder Anderson

Friday, November 29, 2013

Hello everyone,

Good news, I'm already weird. I knew that when I got home I'd be a bit of an oddball, but I didn't realize that the transformation took place so soon. Not that I was really normal before but I can tell by the things that I think are funny and other things that I say or do that I'm already a weird missionary. Oh well I suppose it's a good thing. 

Yesterday, Thanksgiving, was really neat here at the MTC. We started off the day with a great devotional from none other than the one, the only, Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve. That was pretty awesome. As soon as he walked into the room you could feel the Spirit. I've been having a hard time staying awake in some of the devotionals or even my classes but not that one. I was wide awake and taking notes the whole time. What a cool person. I also heard that we will be hearing from more General Authorities throughout December and especially on Christmas. Later in the day, we had a nice Thanksgiving program where people played some musical numbers (not necessarily spiritual but certainly fun) and Sister Roach, the wife of a member of the MTC presidency, directed a nice little Thanksgiving skit. Afterwards, we participated in a service project where we prepared 350,000 meals for local children who need food. We also got to watch a movie, Ephraim's Rescue. That's part of what made me realize that we're weird already because I saw that show before I came out here and specifically remember a couple of parts not being funny that we laughed at whilst in the MTC. Good old missionaries.

Things have been going really well with my new companion, Heilein Elder. He works really hard and wants to learn the language really bad. We spend most of our free time reviewing vocabulary or conjugating verbs or preparing for the lessons that we have to teach in Hungarian. I sure appreciate him. Also, when I get home and start a band and become famous, he's gonna join me. So it'll be Jake and I, two very white Americans, and Heilein Elder, one medium white German. We're gonna go places. 

We got two new investigators this last week, Adam and Gabor. Our lessons with them have been 100 times better than our first couple lessons with Anita and Peter. However, that doesn't mean that they're good, it just means that we can now express our ideas and thoughts in a way that they probably understand. However, our Hungarian continues to get better and better every day. I have faith that the Lord will help us learn it and that we'll know everything that we need to by the time that we leave. I just hope I need to know plenty. 
I have a question related to our investigators that I would like to pose to anyone with some advice. In class one day, we were talking about why someone would need to get baptized, and I couldn't think of a single reason. I mean, sure its a saving ordinance and it'll help us to be happy, but how do you explain that to an investigator or anyone who doesn't understand eternal life and thinks that they already have a happy life? Its something I've been pondering a little bit and would like to hear some feedback on. Thanks very much.

The other day, I was in a leadership meeting and an Elder shared a scripture from Jacob 5. I'm pretty sure it was Jacob 5:20-24 or there abouts. It's talking about how the servant says to the master, why would you plant in such terrible ground? And the master says something to the effect of "I knew it was poor ground but it will bring forth much fruit. And look at that spot of ground, it was more terrible than this and it brought forth much fruit." I'm not sure exactly how it goes but the missionary talked about how before he came, a lot of people said that he wouldn't be successful because he was going to Finland. I remember having a lot of the same thoughts thinking about my mission in Hungary. But when he read these verses, I realized that the Lord might just have plenty of people to convert in Hungary after all. Maybe he doesn't and I'll still come home with brand new baptism pants, never before used, but regardless, its His work not mine and I'll do the things He asks me to because He's trusted me to do it.

I love all of you. Thanks for your well wishes and you're prayers. 

Send me letters. I like them.

Boldog Halaadas.

Anderson Elder.

No comments:

Post a Comment