Elder Anderson

Elder Anderson

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

This is the last email that I will send from America. That's so bomb. I've learned so much here and can't believe that I've been gone a full 2 months. It feels like just a few days and an eternity at the same time. I'm 1/12 of the way done and wish I had so much more. Sometimes I think about home and some of the things that I could be doing there. I wonder if I'd rather being playing music, going to school, working, or hanging out with friends or whatever. When I really think about it, though, there's no way I'd rather be anywhere but here right now. I've been speaking almost nothing but Hungarian this whole week. Sometimes I wish I could just speak English on my mission, but then I think, no way. I love Hungarian, and I love being a missionary and I'm so grateful for this opportunity I have no matter how short.
We had some pretty awesome devotionals this week. One of them was President Reynolds, who is the Mount Timpanogas Temple President. He talked about the doctrine of Christ. Turns out, I didn't actually understand what that meant. However, after seeing it, I have such a clear vision of my purpose as a missionary and how I can help others come unto Christ. It was so awesome. For further reading, check out 2 Nephi 31, 3 Nephi 11 and 3 Nephi 27. The parts that talk about the doctrine of Christ begin and end with the words, and this is my doctrine. It's awesome.

We also heard from Bishop Stevenson, the presiding bishop. He spoke about having a vision for ourselves and for our investigators and what we want ourselves and them to be like. It was really a good preparation for leaving for Hungary next week.

Remember the investigator/actor that I wrote about a week or so ago? Well turns out he's not an actor. He's really not a member of the church. We found that out after we taught him yesterday. He'd already heard most if not all of the lessons probably more than once, so we decided to just read from the Book of Mormon with him and hopefully the Spirit would testify that its true. Well, he had a reading chart from some other missionaries and we decided to just go from where he was on the chart. That chapter was 1 Nephi 14. For anyone unfamiliar with that chapter, its the one that talks about how there are two churches; the church of the Lamb of God and the great and abominable whore of all the earth. He didn't like that so much and it got a little messy and hopefully we didn't make him hate the church forever. We're gonna meet with him again on Friday and hopefully patch it up.

Sometimes, I get scared for going all the way to the other side of the world and not being able to speak to anyone, but being responsible for the beginning of their eternal progression. It's a pretty terrifying thought really. But one thing that I've been thinking about is how fear is one way that we turn in and care more about ourselves than about those around us. If we have faith in the Lord, we don't need to be afraid of anything. The worst thing that can happen is that we do what God wanted us to and we deal with the consequences appropriately. I'm planning on it being hard. It already has been. But Elder Holland, in an MTC devotional, said it this way, "Missionary work is hard because salvation never was a cheap experience". When we have people's salvation on the line, we can't expect for it to all to come easy. I can't wait to help people with that next week.

Your soon to be European missionary,

Anderson Elder.

No comments:

Post a Comment